Thursday 30 April 2009

Day 28

One of the things I love about Japan is that there is nearly always an event of some kind going on somewhere. Pop concerts, interview, themed events, festivals, conventions. All kinds of crap, some good, some bad, but always worth a visit. So when I heard about the Odaiba Hawaiian Festival, of course, I had to go. I emailed as many people as I could but only Rosanna and Jonna responded (don't get me started on the politeness now) so we arranged a day out at Tokyo's beach resort. Nearly didn't find Rosanna in time but as I opened my door to leave she was there :) Perfect timing^^

We met Jonna at school and got the train to Shinbashi Station and then took the auto train over Rainbow Bridge to Odaiba. First stop was Decks, a shopping mall with a games center called Joypolis inside. We had a walk around the shops and finally I found a new Hello Kitty monkey for my mum. I'm sure she will be pleased^^ There were some crazy shops in there selling odd things like beetles, boob pens, and ass ice cube trays. And then there was Condomania. Only in Japan folks!






We wanted to go to the Honey and Clover cafe but either we couldn't find it or it doesn't exist anymore which is a shame :( We were getting a bit hungry though so we made our way to the Venus Fort. This is where the majority of the Hawaiian stuff was going on. Venus Fort is a cute upscale shopping centre with upscale prices. It's all indoors but they've painted the ceiling to look like the sky so it's an odd feeling walking through there. Unfortunatly all the food places in there were waaay to expensive for us bimbo gakusei so we ended up in Mcdonalds. Yeah ok, not where you should eat when in Japan but I've heard so many times how it's different and better than the McD's in the rest of the world and we had to try it at least once. I went for an ebi seto with zero (zero love). It was ok I guess but I didn't find it any different to any other golden arches I've visited before. They do, however, do a nice green tea McFlurry so maybe I'll go again but only for that.



With lunch munched we walked over to the ferris wheel which is cool. We all prefered to ride it at night so we didn't go on just yet. Went in to some kind of technology museum (sorry can't remember the name) where they had a funky trumpet playing dancing robot. He was extra cool because he played Disney songs^^ There were other random things in there like cars with relax centers in the back seats and those cool chair things that they featured on Top Gear one time.



While I'm on the subject of Top Gear I just wanted to say how much that programme annoys me. Because they did their little race to Tokyo thing everyone now thinks that the trains are never late in Japan. Either I'm really unlucky or it's just bullshit. The trains are late, quite frequently, and most stations wont give you a "late note" unless the train has been delayed by 10 minutes or more, not the 10 seconds or whatever it was that they claimed on Top Gear. I guess it wouldn't have sounded good to say that the trains are usually not late apart from when they have the weekly (yeah weekly) suicide on the Chou or Yamanote line. I've been in Japan for 4 weeks and I know of at least 3 suicides on those 2 lines. Maybe there were more but they don't publicise them so I only heard through word of mouth. So I implore you to not believe Top Gear for they talk crap.



Back to the story...we left the museum and headed down to the beach. It was pretty packed due to it a) being Golden Week b) being Hawaiian festival with all stalls and c) there was a band playing so we just wandered along, browsing the over prices merchandise and admiring the view of the Rainbow Bridge. Found the mini Statue of Liberty, something I missed on my last trip to Odaiba. We were passing the Fuji TV building so we headed inside. There was a nice little shop which I could have spent all my money in but once more I resisted. I will not spend money friviously until June! There was a little Fuji TV museum type thing that some lady ushered us in to. It was free so we went in anyway and I pointed at all the people I knew, much to Rosanna-sans disgust. Apparently it's rude to point with one finger in Japan. Makes me want to do it more >:)




By this time is was coming close to 5pm so we went back to the Venus Ford for the Hawaiian Show. That was pretty cool, hula girls and polynesian fire dancers. I filmed a little for you to see even though there were signs everywhere saying "No photo". Gaijin Powa!








The sun was now setting and the hour of the ferris wheel was closing in. We had a little more time before it got dark enough so we got an ice cream (green tea for me) and then we took a stroll through the Leisure Land. It's just an arcade type place but it was fun to see the random games, like the one where you have to pretend to start a track race and run in to a wall. The poor boy we saw do that looked pretty shaken. The one thing they have in Japanese arcades that they don't have at home are purikura machines. It's not a day out unless you come home with purikura. It cost 400yen but it was such good fun. Just have to decide what to do with the stickers now.







Finally it was dark enough to ride the wheel. Alas, the temperature had dropped significantly and the queue had risen. We thought about going on the clear gondola but the wait was at least 45 minutes and it was really too cold for that. When we got near the front of the queue there was a sign saying "You cannot chose the colour of your gondola". So my response jokingly was..."aww but I wanted to go on a pink one". LOL, guess what colour we got? Discovered that Jonna is a KAT-TUN fan. Luckily for her she told us this when the wheel was almost back down otherwise I'd have kicked her out at the top ^_~ We did a lot of talking about the Johnny's Jimusho today. It's good to find fellow fan girls.







And that was all we had time for. Apart from calling in the supa on the way home and finding Green Tea Kit Kat.



No comments: