Saturday 4 April 2009

Day 3

Today there was no school as it's the weekend so I headed out for the day with Daniel. There was an event on in Roppongi and I thought I'd go. The event we were seeing was in Tokyo Midtown (an amazing part of town architecture-wise) at the Midtown Blossom Lounge. A singer called Yuna Ito was doing a mini concert there. She's pretty famous in Japan and did a rather nice show. No pictures I'm afraid as we weren't allowed :( but it was still nice to see. Here's a few pictures from Midtown where the concert was held.



After that we went for a walk through Midtown where we met Green Santa! Oh yeah! We also saw a mango for sale for 30,000yen (£200 and no that's not a typo).

We walked by the Tokyo Art Centre but declined to go in. 1500yen is too much to pay to look at probably crappy pictures and the building outside was much better (though the fake sakura left a lot to be desired).
A train ride to Ueno followed though Asakusa was our destination, we just decided to walk instead. It took a while but it was worth it. My feet would disagree but I think it was worth it and Daniel seemed to love the place. I declined to buy anything today as I'm trying to be a little more frugal. All my time and money seems to be getting lost to trains. Next week I'll limit my spending to no more than 1000yen per day (mon-fri) and then I can have fun on the weekends going to places. I digress. I didn't buy anything of any use in Asakusa, only a sakura flavour ice cream (on nom nom) and an apricot sweet bean cookie thing. I should have taken a picture but it was eaten too fast. Next time I will for sure.
Trying to find our way back to the train station I got us a little lost so a lovely girl and her dog showed us, no I should say took us as she walked the entire way with us, to the nearest station and we headed back to Ueno for more nigth time hanami. Ueno is a big scary place, I must say. Soooo busy, people everywhere and all the neon. I like it >:) We grabbed some drinks and headed for the park. It's a bit like Yoyogi from yesterday only on a much bigger scale. It's a much more beautiful place but the people and the garbage kind of ruin the mood. i think I prefered Yoyogi. Got some food while we were there. Daniel had okonomiyaki which I'm not sure he liked as there was fish in the okonomiyaki sauce. But he ate it and his dango of sugary doom. I had an om nom nom sweetcorn. A tad expensive but like I said, om nom nom. Plus it's not like I plan to eat out like that every night. It's hanami and that's what you eat at hanami.
By this point it started to rain so I headed home to drink my giant 150ml can of coke :) and rest my poor feet. Tomorrow is another day of fun. Heading to Kawasaki for the Kanamura Matsuri. No one wants to join me but they'll be sorry :p Should be home by the early afternoon so I'll do some shopping then. Need washing powder, shampoo and non-convenience store food. We're talking a bag of rice, some soy sauce and random cheap veggies I think. I have multi vitamins...I'll survive :)

I saw this on the way to Asakusa and thought it was awesome :)
ps. Sorry for the blurry pictures, night photography is hard :(

1 comment:

ethereal said...

oooo oooo you went to kitchen town right by asakusa. Fun to look at silly fake plastic foods. So jealous.