Thursday 2 April 2009

Day 1


So I'm here. Actually right this minute I'm sat on my amazngly hard bed trying to play WoW and stream Lost and ANTM off the net which just about works now, when the place is empty, but will suck when everyone comes home.

But where is home?
J&F House Warabi is home. Actually, that's a picture of the 7-11 on the corner but if you believe and sprinke some fairy dust, you can see my place just down that street. Do a 360 and there's a cute temple that I think I'll be jogging around in the mornings.

But before I get on to that I should tell you about how I reached Warabi and the many things that I discovered along the way.

So I was dropped off at Swansea bus station at 6am on 1st April after dragging myself outta bed at 3am. Four miserable hours later and I arrived at T5. Got confused as I could only see arrivals and no departures but eventually spotted a sign saying departures were up in the lift. Go through, have my bags sent to oversided luggage due to being strappy. Get through that point and then security...bags on there, electricals out of bags, laptop out of bag, coat off, shoes off, belt off. /dies Finally get done with that crap and get my things back in order and then I have 2 hours to kill before I need to head to my gate. Wander past all the shops as I cant afford anything in any of them. As much as I'd love a Prada bag, it's just not to be. Did however, splash out on some Nina Ricci purfume and lunch at a place called Giraffe. I had the Avocado and some stuff Club sandwich with sticks and all. Gutted I didnt get one of their smoothy things as I would have had a giraffe stirrer but alas, I only ordered a diet coke. By the time I'd finished lunch it was time to head to gate B34 for departure.

Flight was due to take off at 13.45. Don't think it actually lifted off the ground until 14.15 but it's no matter really. Good selection of films. Watched Frost/Nixon and gave up half way through Inkheart. Really though I was too tired to care about anything. Tried to sleep to no avail. 11 miserable hours later, touch down, fingerprinted, photographed, questioned, sniffer dogs, all clear off you go luv^^

So I get the Skyliner train in to Roppongi where I was meant to transfer to a different line but the trains weren't stopping and I had to watch my blue train sail by again and again. There was an announcement but it was in Japanese so I didn't understand it. Fortunatly an American with his Japanese wife helped me out and eventually I made it to Warabi. Gruesome (through exhaustion) walk, minor bit of getting lost and I'm in. Bit of paperwork to be done but it's all done now. I also made a trip to the local 100yen shop and bought myself some coat hangers, a mug, a towel and a chip n dale tea towel/flanel thing. Also hit the 7-11 for rice balls, chu-hai and melon pan!! There it is on my laptop --->> Can you see it?! Om nom nom >:) And yes, that's my diddy room there. Here's another picture in case you're interested...





A sidways view of my folded futon. There's not a lot else to say about the room. It's small, square, air-conned, noisy and mine^^

Few things I noticed on the way here. Firstly, Japanese people dont have proper terraced housing. They may only half 6 inches between the houses but there's always a gap. I wonder why this is? Maybe earthquake related? Noise levels through the paper walls. You'd think they'd be grateful for the extra house space though it woud ruin the whole tatami mat thing.

Second thing I noticed was that the chrry blossoms have all but gone. I'm gutted. Yonu'd think you could catch it coming to Japan on 1st April but no. I feel like I need to go kick a sakura tree just so I can have my TonyTony Chopper moment and then of course, rumbleball my way out before the locals lynch me for kicking the trees hehe^^

Here's a picture of some crappy mostly spent cherry blossom trees...Le suck!
Third thing I noticed is how many Japanese have allergies. Damn! I'm grateful not to have to wear one of those masks.

And finally, the last thing I can remember that I noticed is that between here and the train statio there is a 7-11, family mart, American Bar, Karaoke place, grocery store, sake shop and a cool place called Little Mermaid that does fresh melon pan. Oh and a ton of places to eat cheap. Just need to find a friend first >:( Few bike places. 10k for a crappy one. Not sure it's worth it.

Time for a nap now if the peeps outside will shut it. Back on at 9 for skype xx

No comments: