Friday 17 April 2009

Day 16

I felt so much better today. I slept for maybe 10 hours in total so I think that helped a lot. Didn't really have time to make breakfast so I went for some bread with mango jam. Om nom nom! I'll miss that when I leave Japan for sure, though there's plenty of things I wont miss (Japanese toilets anyone? ych a fi).

School started at 1 and stupidly I bought another can of hot tea before class. By about half way through the lesson I was feeling sick again and so for the second time I lost my tea to the great toilet. I won't be buying it again lol. As a consequence of the tea I didn't really follow what went on in the first lesson again. I was starting to think that maybe I'm not cut out to learn Japanese or maybe I'm just too lazy for my own good and I need to be doing 4 hours of home study on top of 4 hours of lessons each day. Everyone else seemed to follow and I mostly had no idea what they were talking about. Turns out Nino was struggling a little too so that made me feel better. I think we discovered the root of our problem lies in there being too much new vocabulary from yesterday. All these numbers and days and different words for different periods of time and the new verbs. Too many words, not enough brain processing power from me. :(

After first break we had a change of topic, well sort of, and we were talking about going places. "Today I will go to the bank", "Tomorrow I will go to Kamakura". I don't know why but all this seemed to sink it much easier than anything from the previous day and I left school at the end of lessons feeling accomplished. I understood and I had a brief conversation during break with the teacher and we both understood each other. It was also nice when we left class that I could say to friends "Nichi-yobi, Daniel-san to Nino-san Utada mimasu to watashi wa depato e ikkimasu". Not great Japanese there but you can get the point. I really want to use more Japanese language in my day to day life here so it was nice to get the opportunity. Also on the train on the way home, I was listening to people and the train announcements and I'm starting to understand a little more :) My listening skills in Japanese are by far my worst however and so I must practice listening more and more so I don't continue to struggle.

Again, once we left class we made our arrangements for Kamakura tomorrow. Daniel-san is having trouble with his bank so he may not be able to come (though the offer is there if you want to borrow the money Chibi-chan). Probably it'll just be myself, Katharina-san and Santa-san but that's cool cos they're cool^^. We're just gonna wing it I think. I'm not sure if they want to hike or go to the beach or see the shrines but there's plenty to do in the place, so long as we can get sweet potato ice cream. Meeting Santa-san at 7am tomorrow (eek) and then hopefully, Katharina-san at 7.45ish. It takes 90 minutes to get to Kamakura so if we're on the train by 8.30 then we'll have a good amount of time to spend there.

With the arrangements loosely in place for tomorrow, Nino-san and I made a break for it to shinjuku. He was meeting some guy to do an interview. Nino works for a manga publishing company in Italy so he has to do this stuff for his job which on the one hand is pretty cool but it also means he can't always make it to events that we've organised. I blame Benjamin Linus or Faraday and his stupid submarine! Anyways, lol, I left Nino-san at Gap and began an hour long wander around Shinjuku.

Alas, I have no photo's of today's expedition as I didn't feel comfortable taking photo's of the people I saw. I wandered in and out of a few stores. Found at least 2 awesome clocks in one particular shop though as I dont have my own place anymore, buying 2 clocks would be silly even if I did love them. Popped in to a Familymart as I was hungry and bought some kind of green Orea chocolate bar thing (it was gooooood) and KitKat Petit! (By the way, I also spotted KitKat balls on the way to school this morning but I couldnt stop to get them or I would have missed my train so I'll pick some up on Sunday...Nichiyobi or Monday...Getsuyobi).

I had been hoping to find Don Quixote but I think I stumbled in to the dodgy part of town instead. Lots of places offering massages and some shops selling really dodgy outfits. There was one place selling the tiger stripe bikini from that anime with the green haired girl with the cat ears (can someone remind me of the name please?). There were also a significant increase of pretty boys walking about so I must have been near some Host clubs. You can just tell the host boys, for one thing they all had those pointy shoes on like you see Matsumoto Jun and co wearing in Hana Yori Dango. I found my way out of there eventually though and head back to the station.

I decided to have a look around Akabane station on the way back and found a cute shop with cute t-shirts and I nearly bought one with Tony the Tiger on or one with Care Bears on but they were 3000yen (£22-23) which is probably too much for a t-shirt. Maybe I'll go back another time and get one. I like buying stuff :)

I was looking at some webistes for places to eat in Shinjuku and Sshibuya and I found this place. http://alcatraz.hy-system.com/ Don't think I'll go but it looks so strange.

Anyways, Kamakura tomorrow, I shall update when I get back with pictures and stuff. Night night xxx

No comments: