Tuesday 14 April 2009

Day 13....part 2!

Ok, so as I click "post" about the noisy people they go away. Hopefully they'll stay away. I really don't know what I can do about it. I could ask them to be quiet or talk somewhere else but then I'd look like a whiner. I could ask the guesthouse manager to help but I don't speak much Japanese and he doesn't speak much English so I don't know how I'd get my problem across. Hmm..it's tough but at least now it's quiet, even if they have disturbed my study for the last hour. And boy do I need to study.

Today we learned a little about asking the price of things. And also about saying how much things cost. Bearing in mind that there are currently 150 yen to the pound, even if I want to say something is only £10 I need to know how to say 1500 yen. So lots of big numbers. Also, Japanese don't use quite the same system for counting as we do. We have ten, hundred, thousand and then the combination of hundred thousand then million. They have....jyu (ten), hyaku (hundred), sen (thousand) and man (ten thousand) and then they start to combine ten thousand and three thousand and four hundred and five tens and six. That number is 63456. In the UK we'd write it like 63,456 but in Japan it is counted more like 6,3456, which quite frankly blows my frazzled mind. So right now I'm meant to be practicing but if I'm honest, I've wasted time watching How I Met Your Mother (lol....whats the difference between jam and peanut butter?) and The Big Bang Theory.

Also in class today my teacher told me that Wales isn't a real country, it's a county of England. WHAT?! Seriously woman, I'm not overly patriotic anymore but Wales is not part of England. She said Wales was to England how the Basque is to Spain. We want to be free but we're still a part of England. As Ms Victoria once said..."we are not amused". Of course, me being an Anthropology graduate from Wales, I know nothing about national identity or, indeed, my own country. I can understand that Japanese people may not be familiar with my country but that doesn't mean that they can make shit up. Grr, that's enough of that anyway. So yeah, sensei annoyed me, kanto-san annoyed me, the noisies annoyed me. I'm really feeling crappy. Once school was out I did actually get to go to the cool bento place of which I still can't remember the name. I had an ebikatsu bento and Daniel-san had a stamina bento (I think) which we took to the nearest shelter and ate whilst I bitched about Japan and the noisy Swedes. I really like that place. It was so much food and only cost 390yen (£2.60). I'm going to try to not make a habit of going there because I don't want to get fed up of the place but it's good so maybe just once or twice a week. And it's within my 1000yen a day budget. Speaking of which, today I spent 100yen on a bottle of water, 220 yen on 2 cartons of lemon iced tea (yeah sugar but I don't like cold oolong tea), 390 on the bento and 120 on some chocolate biscuits which makes a grand total of 830. Safe!

And yes, it rained today but it was still kinda warm. I enjoyed the relief from the heat and it was a little reminiscent of home but I think I prefer the sunshine. I may even be starting to tan a little on my arms. Only taken 2 weeks! Legs are still white though :( Thinking about the rain I just opened my window and it's absolutely chucking it down! Awesome-o^^ Not as good as Welsh rain though, it just falls straight down here. Welsh rain, from the country of Wales, falls sideways.

Finally, a big thank you to Katharina-san! She found rose flavoured kitkat for me :) They're really good. Like Turkish Delight flavoured kitkat. I'm going to see if I can buy some to bring home with me as I know a certain lady who would love to try them.


1 comment:

ethereal said...

Laura you're an absolute trip. You mean you didn't know that England annexed Whales the day after you left? Be careful going home to an occupied country ;)