Wednesday 15 April 2009

Day 14

Struggled in school today. They're phasing out the romanised characters quickly now and while I can read hiragana, I can't read it fast so it's a little hard to keep up sometimes. Plus, not sleeping properly means I'm not quite as sharp as I should be in class. I think also, because I don't have the book that I wanted to buy I'm not getting the proper revision that I need but I'll rectify that tomorrow by book shopping. There are two books that I'd like to buy and I think that, maybe if I see the News calender I'll buy that too. It's only money and I want to enjoy myself. I went without for a year so I could be here and now I'm going to have what I want. If there's time I'll also look for a new bag or maybe some new shoes.

So once class was over, Daniel-san and I made a break for it and headed to Akihabara. You might remember the name from the Akihabara Massacre from last year where some guy killed 7 people. Aside from that sad event, this part of Tokyo is known as the geeky part of town, the place where the otaku hang out. It's chock full of anime and manga shops, arcades, electronic stores and maid cafes. So many girls in those dodgy outfits begging the passing nerds to come inside for tea and cake. There's even a cat cafe which I was lead to believe had actual cats but when we found it there were only girls with cat ears on. Shame, a cafe with cats would have been rather cool.

Daniel-san was on the look our for some kind of cyborg to take home with him but despite looking in many places we couldn't find anything but anime junk. Kodobashi department store was the closest we came to gadget goodness. They sold those face bank things. Totally bringing one of those home for someone as a gift. Maybe I'll even buy the "grow your own alien bug kit" thing that we saw O.o I could have spent so much money there but as I'm trying to sort out my travel money card I'm not going to spent too much (other than what I can put on my credit card) as I don't want to have to withdraw cash before the card is activated. Using this card will save me about a fiver for each withdrawal so it's best to wait. I have another 10 weeks so plenty of time for face banks and chicken bags and care bear slippers and TonyTony Chopper....well...everything really.

I took a few pictures of the most random things I saw whilst shopping. I think that frog/cow thing is some kind of food steamer haha. I'd love the frog one but it wont work at home. And the Hip Parade thing.....hmmm....models of girls butts. Seriously. You can collect asses. I don't understand who would want or have the guts to buy and display these but they sell them. Only in Japan lol.
So tomorrow is more school. I shall get up early, buy books and if the rain holds off, I'll go sit in Yoyogi park and do some studying. Can't study in the guesthouse as it's just too noisy :( Then school til 5, maybe cool bento place or Sunkust bento (which is also good when you're in a hurry plus it beats cup ramen) and then who knows. Daniel only has a week left in Tokyo so if he wants to go anywhere I'll gladly go with him. Well, unless he's going for Korean food in which case I'll pass hehe.

Finally I shall leave you with today's discovery..........................KitKat Pudding (aka creme caramel)!!! Very tasty. Much better than the real creme caramel. I hate that stuff but in a kitkat it is good. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"we are not amused"

xd

love that part

xd

ethereal said...

LOL... Brooke and I actually ate at that cafe when we were in Japan. It was fun, but a regular maid cafe probably would have been better. My spaghetti was worse then Chef boy-r-de. meh.