Monday 11 May 2009

Day 39



Today was the turn of Yokohama part II. As you may recall, Rosanna and I visited Yokohama last month but it rained very badly the whole time we were there and the day was quite a wash-out. But there were still things that I wanted to see and do and buy there so we planned another trip, this time with Jonna and Katharina joining us. That's what should have happened but a minor mix up meant that Katharina-san didn't make it and Jonna nearly missed it too. Thankfully she had a phone so we found her. *phew*





After running about in the immense heat trying to find Katharina, trying to find the right train and finding our way back after I took us on the wrong one, or rather, forgot to get us off at the right station, we made it to Yokohama 2 hours later than planned. But the weather was beautiful so I didn't mind. We took the train down to Chinatown first, and wandered about the shops. Didn't find the panda roll shop much to my dismay but I did pick up a funky panda fan and I got to try an ass bun aka peach steamed bun. Also found Yokohama anniversary kit kats that are only available there this summer. Caramel flavour which was lush and cheesecake flavour which I didn't try because it was 870yen (£6) for 8 mini kit kats. Total rip off so I just stole a picture instead. There were a few things there that I wanted to buy that I didn't get the chance to so I think I'll take one last trip there as the end of my stay here in Japan but this time on my own so I don't have to worry about who I'm annoying by looking at the same cute key rings and phone charms over and over again^^






Second stop of the day was Yamashita Park. This place is by the sea and has lots of greenery. On the weekends and holidays they have street performers scattered about the place. When we were there some guy was doing some lame show with a diablo and some fire. It was a bit too hot for standing around watching this crap but had I been on my own I would have stayed as I do love this sort of crap. I remember going to Covent Garden with my mum once and being really bored but I think that was to do with the cold as well. I've come to appreciate simple performance and, you know, these guys are only trying to make a living and have fun so yeah I like to watch. I wanted to see some dance or theatre when i was here in Japan but most people are here longer than me and have less money so while I'm throwing cash about all over the place they have to be a bit more frugal about things. That leaves me with the two options of going alone or not going at all. So far I've gone with the latter which makes me a little sad though I am tempted by Wicked in Japanese, Cirque du Soliel in Disney, Spring Awakening (though honestly, I'd prefer to see that in English first), Oliver (this week), Midsummer Nights Dream (woo Japanese Shakespeare) and a thing called Treasure. Whatever I decide to do, I should make a decision fast.







So we walk about the park, laugh at the guy running in swimming trunks O.o and I take a picture of a guy with pigeons who spots me and starts saying something in Japanese....*run away* Then we take the "Sea Bass" boat ride down to Minato Murai 21 (or something like that, I'm too lazy to check the spelling). That was a pretty nice ride. Jonna, like me, lives by the sea so I think she appreciated the water and the waves in much the same way that I did.





Once we arrived at MM21 the weather was starting to cool down a lot. We watched and laughed at people coming down the log flume. Screamers were easy to spot and the best fun to watch. Didn't go on ourselves as it cost 600yen (£4). Then a wander through the amusement park and then onward to ice cream. After deciphering the katakana I went for the cranberry flavour which turned out to be fruit of the forest. Not so great but it has sugar in it so not all that bad. Did some people watching for a good 45 minutes. The most interesting thing to do when people spotting is to look at the shoes. Pointy ones, old ones, wide ones, Crocs (gah!), ill fitting ones, and of course, the one's that the poor girls can't actually walk in. Its amazing how many girls wear big ass heels but can barely stand in them. I'm sure it's 50/50 as to whether they walk badly because they're in pain or because they simply can't walk in them.



By this time it was getting dark so we went back outside to take pictures of the Ferris Wheel clock in the dark. It's pretty cool when it's lit up as they tick the seconds down around the edge before the lights do some funky display and then start over again. And all the things I read about Yokohama at night being beautiful are absolutely true. It's wonderful when it's all lit up, it's just a shame my camera isn't all that good in the dark. Great for the day time, but once the flash becomes necessary then things don't work out so well. At this point Jonna-san decided to start filming everything including my impressions of classmates. Kanto-san, Wegetables and Ken-san in particular but I think a lot of people got the Laura treatment. I'm a bad person...









Heading home on the train we did some revision, it's good to study in these situations, and we had a giggle about pointy shoes and じゅうじょう (Jujo). Once home I ran in to Cecilia-san who was celebrating her birthday. She was a little drunk which was quite funny. I was invited to join everyone downstairs but it was late and I was VERY tired so I passed in order to eat and sleep.





And that was the day that was. Better than Yokohama part I but I think we need Yokohama part III for the complete experience.


No comments: