Sunday 3 May 2009

Day 31

Gah I'm behind again and so tired. I wish I could say I don't know where the time goes but I think most of it goes on walking ;_; My poor feet can't take it anymore :(

So Saturday, the plan was to go to Shinjuku, then meet some people at the animation museum, and then dinner at Zest Cantina. Epic Fail!

Shinjuku was fine. I don't get that lost there anymore. I was trying to buy Care Bear suits for my mother and I to use for the Race for Life in July. I find my way to the Donki nearest school but they only have Love-a-lot bear! Disaster! So I decide I'll take a look in the Donki in Shibuya, it's bigger so maybe they'll have them there. Turns out there's a bigger place in Shinjuku and I accidentally found it when I walked back to the station. So I go in, I find Love-a-lot bear and Cheer bear so all is well. They also have a host of other awesome costumes there so I'll be going back to pick a few up sometime. I need one for Anne-marie's hen night, 1 for halloween (mayonnaise bottle!) and 1 or 2 for Nino and my birthday week.

The next stop for me is the animation museum. I get to the station easily enough. Didn't write directions down before I left as I thought there would be a map at the station. There's always a map at the station. I see a sign saying to leave by the north exit...and then no map. So I go back in the station, find the map but the museum is not on it. Crap. Better wing it I guess. After walking blindly for 40 minutes I'm past the time to meet the gang so I turn around and go back to the station and get lost on the way back. When back I check the map again and I think maybe I've walked in the wrong direction so I try south. No luck there either. So after about an hour and a half of aimless wandering, I get back on the train and head to Shibuya.

Well, not exactly, Shibuya. My commuter pass only allows me to ride to Harajuku without paying. It's an extra 130yen (£1) to go one stop further to Shibuya and it's only a 15 minute walk so I do that instead. There's a concert on in the Olympic place near Yoyogi park so as I have time I do a little freak spotting. I did a lot of people spotting that day. Weirdo harajuku girls near Yoyogi Park with all their skull and ribbon garb. Male hosts in Shinjuku with their perfect hair and pointy shoes. It's a fun way to pass the time. Next time, if I can get away with it, I'll take some pictures.

I have about an hour and a half before I'm due to meet everyone for dinner so I decide to find the restaurant so we don't get lost later. Not a lot of trouble as I had a map. I still had over an hour to go so I wandered through the crappy Disney Store and did more people watching up near the NHK building. Some cute kids with shaved ice and a fat guy eating sausages and his friends sausages too were my favourites.

At 5.40 I walk down to the station. I didn't really have a good idea who would come as only 2 or 3 people had replied to my email. I was surprised to see almost everyone there. I don't think Ken got the message and Niclas says he didn't like the look of the restaurant but apparently he can't be bothered to answer an email either. So we waited a while and those guys didn't show up and we were hungry so we left. Time for another disaster! There's a wedding in the restaurant so we can't go in. Gah! Everyone turns to me for the solution but there is only one thing to say...okonomiyaki? Hurrah! Everyone seems to like this idea so off we go. We eat, we drink, we're happy.

It's already Sunday night now but I'm too tired to update for today so I'll do that in the morning. Forgive me xx






No comments: