Saturday 13 June 2009

Day 73

Ok so I haven't updated this blog in a week so I'm going to spend the next hour and a half getting up to day. I have lots planned this week so it's best I not get any further behind....


So today I went to Yokosuka, famous for it's naval port. Takes around 2 hours to get there from Warabi so I left around 09:45 to allow myself enough time to do what I wanted to do. Arrived around midday and began to search for, well, anything really :)



I'd heard that the town is swarming with sailors and that's pretty true though they were all Japanese sailors. Didn't see any non-Asian people in uniforms. The whole town is focused on this base though. There's nautical themed decorations and restaurants everywhere. Ship wheels on the fences, ships on top of clocks, all sorts of stuff. It's kinda nice really plus the place is a lot smaller than Yokohama so while both towns have the same theme going on, Yokosuka has a more quaint feel about it. It's like comparing Saitama to Central Tokyo....but you know, I liked it^^




A few minutes of aimless walking later and I came across a pretty walkway with trees and more ships and a strange arrangement of a stream/pond running through it. I can imagine many kids falling in there...and drunken sailors too. Of course, this had to be there for a reason and the reason was HIJMS Misaka. This is the famous battleship of General Togo who defeated the Russians in the Russo-Japanese war. I won't talk about it too much, you can check out the wiki link for more information. I will say that the 500yen entry fee was a bargain! Very cool museum. Proper-bo English translations...none of that Engrish nonsense. And while I'm sure the truth was somewhat obscured as the Japanese like to do, it was still very interesting and I very much enjoyed learning about the Togo Turn :) If you're ever in this part of the woods and have even the slightest interest in anything military related then I highly recommend a stop here.




Just next to the Misaka was the ferry to Sarushima (Monkey Island). I actually have no idea why it's called monkey island when there's no actual monkeys on there. This island is the last remaining natural island in the Tokyo Bay area. It's a fabulous little place. I took the ferry over (a little pricy but ho hum I'm on holidays) and as we got closer to the island you started to get a feel for the strange place you were approaching. The island is made up of a small beach, some fishing spots and the remains of old military fortifications. All this glued together by spectacular foliage and wildlife. A truly beautiful place. There were dozens of people on the beach enjoying the heat and bbqing, some people snorkeling, a drumming class (who made the atmosphere there just perfect for a hot summers day), bugs everywhere, hawks flying over head. Ahhhh it was just lovely. It's a shame I couldn't stay for too long but I did sit and admire the view for a good hour or so.









After this I decided to go in search of the Perry Landing park (picking up an iced macha latte on the way). Unfortunately for me I wrote down the name of the wrong train stop so after messing about for an hour trying to find the right place, I gave up and headed back to Tokyo. Saw what I think was off duty American sailors on the train. They were plastered in aftershave (bleurg!) so I guess they were off out on the tiles in Yokohama.

Eventually I got home and I ate curry for dinner. Tomorrow I'm off to the beach in Chiba. Fingers crossed the weather is as nice as it was today.

No comments: