Tuesday 12 August 2008

Where to actually go...

The first 3 months of this tour are pretty much set. I'll be in a language school just outside Tokyo the entire time so apart from the occasional short distance day trip to Disneyland, Yokohama, Kamakura etc, I won't be straying far from the greater Tokyo area itself. Once the language course is finished, then the problems start.

First of all there's the visa issue. It's a little complicated but I should just about get away with it. It's all tied in with the JR Pass so anyone who wants to read up on that, Visas and why it's causing me a headache can go poke around.

But more so than the financial and legal issues, the biggest problem I'm having is deciding where to go and in which order to do it in. The damn Wikitravel website is the bane of my life right now. The more I read the more places I think I can squeeze in and the more I jumble my already packed itinery.

Today I've been looking at the island on Kyushu. Now I know I want to go to Oita and Beppu. Hot springs and sunshine. I might try and get to Nagasaki as it isn't that far out of the way. But then I was going to take the ferry from Osaka to Beppu and go from there but now I discover that I can get a shinkansen all the way to Fukuoka. Not that there's anything in particular that I want to go to Fukuoka for but the JR Pass would, in a round about sort of way, get me there for free. I'd just have to change train half way there. And it would be quicker. But do I really want or need to go there? Would a ferry be better? The ferry is overnight so I'd save on a nights accomodation. But then who wants to sleep on a ferry? Maybe I just need to sit and have a read of Fukuoka Now to see if it's worth the effort.

And then as I type this I discover this article regarding the Kyushu ferries and price increases....It just keeps getting more and more difficult to make any solid decisions. Grr!

No comments: